Monday, January 26, 2009

From -15C to a balmy 20C

Yes, Chicago was that cold, and i've finally arrived somewhere that I don't need to wear thermals and two pairs of socks, woo!

Loved Chi-town. It has a sort of edgy urbaness that is the complete opposite to the glitz and glam of New York. Both good in their own way though. The city is *massive*, i'm talking the Melbourne CBD times ten...or more. They know how to do skyscrapers like nowhere else I've ever seen. Luckily, I was also staying pretty much in the middle of town, right across from Town Hall. I should explain that the entire east side of the city borders Lake Michigan (though you can't actually see the other side) and the city is divided down the middle by the Chicago River.

The first full day I was there I did everything I wanted to do south of the River. This included a look at Sears Tower, which looks a bit like Eureka Tower and wasn't anything special. Though apparently for about 5 minutes it was the tallest building in America...the world...or something, I forget. I then wandered into Macy's and bought a tie, excitement, before walking down the waterfront. See an expanse of water big enough that you can't see across, totally frozen, is something that takes my breathe away. Blue sky, sun shining, frozen lake, rigggghhhhttttt.

So I checked out the Milennium Park, which has enough modern art and 'stuff' that stoners would love it, and the Art Institute of Chicago that is right next door. The AIC has one of the largest impressionist collections in the world, so I spent an hour or two amongst more famous European paintings than you can shake a stick at. Unfortunately, their modern section was closed - bastards. I then went down to the Museum District, but frankly, a 2 hour line at the Aquarium didn't appeal, so I checked out the home of my other football team, which is much more impressive than the Telstra Dome. Also picked up a new jersey.

Now all of this was pretty far apart, so I was pretty knackered come dinner. Nevertheless, I soldiered down to the hotel bar for 3 or 4 wines with some people I got chatting to, and it turned into an okay (if early enough) night.

Next day I did everything north of the River, which was a bit less than I'd wanted to see the day before. I walked up the 'Magnificant Mile' (Michigan Ave), which is the architectural hub of Chicago, where even the water tower is a designer building. The Chicago Tribune building is also pretty impressive, taking in bits from just about every famous building in the world, from gothic arches to mini pyramids and all. It's a bit kitch but fun at the same time. Michigan Ave is also home to the main shopping strip, but unlike New York and London, I didn't manage to find much that appealed to me, except a t-shirt with a picture of Obama looking like a mid 90's Will Smith, that says 'The Fresh Prez' (of Belair, for those of you who are a bit thick).

I then checked out Navy Pier, which is probably the main tourist pull in the city. It'd be amazing in summer, but decidedly less so in Winter. Still cool though. They have a pretty amazing indoor garden, so it was nice to sit among four floors of tropical palms for a while, as I watched icebergs float by on the lake. The ferris wheel was closed, much to my dismay, but I did eat at a nice little Italian place for cheap, and I killed twenty minutes in the worlds LARGEST STAINED GLASS MUSEUM. Yes, the wow factor was incredible, unfortunately, no photos allowed.

I just arrived in LA to a pretty nice hotel, which has a pool (!) and is pretty central, but unfortunately with the sprawl that is LA, that makes it close to a few things, but miles away from others. I'm here for two nights, and it's already night time, so it will be pretty rushed thanks again to the lovely people at American Airlines, but waddaya do. I won't get a chance to see much tonight, so i'm going to avail myself on the local hospitality and hit up the pool for some warm weather unwinding after 5 weeks in sub-zero conditions. I had planned to check out Venice Beach and Rodeo Drive, but that's been scratched. Tomorrow i'm going down to Hollywood Blvd and Universal Studios, and will try to cram as much into one day (and massive distances) as I can.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment